October 28, 2009

THE WORLD'S NEED (A Poem from over 100 years ago)






So many gods So many creeds, 
So many paths that wind and wind 
While just the art of being kind 
is all this sad world needs. 

I am the voice of the voiceless 
Through me the mute shall speak 
'til the deaf world's ear be made to hear 
the cry of the wordless weak. 

From lab, from cage, from kennel, 
from slaughterhouses, comes the wail 
of my tortured kin who proclaim the sin 
of the mighty against the frail. 

For love is the true religion 
And love is the law sublime 
And all that is wrought where love is not 
will die with the touch of time.

Oh, shame on the mothers of mortals 
who have not stopped to teach 
of the sorrow that lies in an animal's eyes; 
 the sorrow that has no speech. 

The same power formed the sparrow 
that fashioned man; the king 
The god of the whole gave a living soul 
to furred and to feathered thing.
 
And I am my brother's keeper 
And I will fight his fight and 
speak the word for beast and bird 
til the world shall set things right.

by Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919)


1 comment:

lynette cowie said...

Thanks for sharing this it's beautiful!