October 20, 2011

I Believe.....


Lauralee Blanchard, Leilani Farm Sanctuary; Maui, and friend
I believe in Ahimsa and that we have no right to harm other animals. I believe in abolitionism and that we have no right to use and enslave any animal; whether human or not human. I believe in nonspeciesism and that we are unfair when we use irrelevant prejudice that's based on membership to a certain animal species in order to victimize someone. I believe in 'Reverence for Life' and that we have no right to disrespect others; as in exploiting, assaulting, and killing. And I believe in 'animal rights'; that we have no right to deny anyone sentient the fundamental right of bodily integrity from human harm or ownership - as we generally give to all human animals, but need to extend to all other species of feeling, breathing, conscious animals, too. 

I believe in picking fresh vegetables or tree-ripened-offered fruit, and that we have no right to steal our food by believing that barbaric slaughterhouse-sourced animal flesh and secretions are food fit for consumption. Animals are not food. I believe in Truth and that we have no right to wrong others or the planet that sustains all life. I believe in the Golden Rule and that we have no right to do to other animals that which we would not want done to us. 

I believe in Love and that we have no right to exemplify such a lack of love towards other creatures; especially those who would never think of harming us. Humans oppress the helpless – because they can - not because they have to. 

I believe in Evolution and that we have no right to hinder its progress of achieving a more civilized way of living on Earth. I believe in Peace and that we have no right to inflict violence on anyone who is feeling; animals - human and other. I believe in the Vegan Ideal and that we have no right to do anything but to try to live up to it as best we can.  I'm a believer.

6 comments:

Milli said...

I believe.... Too!

Milli said...

I believe.... Too!

Lisa Viger said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

"bodily integrity [...] as we legally give to all human animals"

Except boys and girls of different ages, given that infant genital mutilation is socially accepted and legal in several countries (still 30% circ rate in the us for male infants and some forms of FGM are legal because they are believed to reduce "risk of lesbianism" in female infants, all without informed consent from the patient). It's important to remember it, as veganism "forbids" violence against humans too.

Anonymous said...

Im not religious but AMEN TO THAT !!

Unknown said...

The whole vegan is derived from the path of ahimsa foundar- lord mahavira who is the founder of janism and his quote to live life is "Live and Let live :)